You can read the latest construction update from Konrath, the Gateway's construction oversight project manager, here.
The Gateway Project
This page was last updated on November 18, 2013.
Read past construction updates in the Gateway Project -> Construction Updates file in the City's Document Center.
Project History and Other Background Information:
- The current plan includes the entire development area formerly occupied by the Mission Mall and consists of:
- Three multi-tenant retail buildings (“A", “B", “C”),
- Three mixed-use buildings of retail and residential uses (“D", “E,” and “F”),
- A four floor parking structure for the entire development, and
- Public/private open space and pedestrian amenities.
- Summer/Fall 2013 The developer's contractor began moving in equipment and installing silt fencing around the perimeter of the site the week of July 22nd. An official ground breaking ceremony for the project took place August 12th at 4:00 PM on the site followed by a reception at the Sylvester Powell Jr. Community Center.
- In 2012, the Planning Commission found that the submitted final plans were in substantial compliance with the zoning and preliminary site plan which was approved by the City Council November 27, 2012. Approval of the final site plan was the final planning step required before the developer was allowed to apply for building permits for construction of the project.
- The Final Plat for the site was approved by the Planning Commission in May 2008.
- In 2005, The Cameron Group, LLC, a development company from Syracuse, New York, purchased the Mission Mall property with plans to build a mixed-use development on the site. Preliminary plans for this redevelopment project were approved by the City in October 2007.
- In 2005, the City of Mission initiated a visioning process for the “East Gateway” area of our community. An East Gateway Redevelopment Study Team was established, which included residents, business owners, and city officials from the cities of Mission, Roeland Park, and Fairway. Following many meetings and public input, a final vision was presented on March 24, 2006.